31 July, 2009

{memories...part 1}

As we've begun packing and just anticipating our upcoming move, I've been bombarded by all sorts memories of the almost 8 years we've been in our house. One thing that I'm continually reminded of is God's amazing provision and protection over my family all these years. The horrifying moments have been far out-weighed by the amazing memories made by my small little family of 4.



We bought our house in Sept of 2001...when Emma was just 18 months old. She was such a tiny little thing and had us wrapped around her itty, bitty finger. This is really the only house she remembers at this point.



When she was about 2ish, I found a Little Tikes House bed at a garage sale for her. She LOVED that bed...it had a little window in the headboard w/shutters that actually worked. She stored so many little treasures in that secret hiding place...books, Squeaky, Mr. Bun, barrettes, socks. One day, while she was supposed to be napping, I heard an odd noise coming through the monitor. I snuck up the incredibly creaky stairs to see if I could figure out what was going on and I peeked through the key hole in her door. Much to my surprise Emma wasn't in her bed, but I could still hear the noise. So, I very quietly opened her door to find her perched on the roof of her house bed peeling the nasty wallpaper off the wall. She had found a loose seam in the wallpaper and took it upon her tiny self to remove it. She was so very proud of herself too! I was astonished and a little upset...her bed was covered in wallpaper shreds. She still didn't know I was there so I said, "Emma Grace, what are you doing?" Her sweet little reply was, "Mommy, I'm on a tall mountain! Look!" I didn't have the heart to get mad at her. From then on, when I heard the sound of wallpaper being torn off the wall, I just yelled up the stairs for her to get off her tall mountain.

Oh my, I love that girl! Who knew a little flashback would make me so weepy?!

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

Thank God you have ALL those memories to take with you! :) Good luck with the move! I can't wait to hear about and see pictures of you new house!

Jenny said...

Now comes the HARD part! Good luck with all the moving stuff!!! Love the memory ;-)

Tanya said...

Sometimes I drive by the house that we had when Jack and Grace were born and just enjoy thinking of all those newlywed and newborn memories!

I am loving our new washer and dryer...so efficient! We got GE. The clothes are barely damp when they come out of the washer and the dryer is done in about 40 minutes. Big change from our old set!!!

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

How cute. :) I bet that will be a fun story to tell her future hubby one day. :) Good luck with packing. Can be such a task!

Jenny said...

Hey Tonya- just gave you an award- check out my latest post!