03 July, 2008

The Cloak of Worry...sounds inviting, huh?

We have some stuff going on in our life right now that has caused me great worry. I don't start out wanting to worry...I just end up worrying. I let worry rob me of any joy that I may experience. I can't even begin to imagine how much joy I've missed w/my kids, husband, friends and family b/c I've been so consumed w/worry. It sometimes feels like I wear that worry like a cloak. It's too hot to be wearing the worry cloak for goodness sake! So, I've been asking God for help in the worry department.

During my devotional time yesterday wouldn't ya know God lead me to read Matthew 6:25-34...here's the passage for those of you who don't have it memorized! ;)

25 “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are? 27 Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?
28 “And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, 29 yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. 30 And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?
31 “So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ 32 These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. 33 Seek the Kingdom of God[a] above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.
34 “So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today. (NLT)


I've got one of those awesome study Bibles...it's not an NIV study Bible, but a study Bible nonetheless. And of course, it had a little snippet called Seven Reasons Not To Worry.
1-The same God who created life in you can be trusted w/the details of your life. (v25)
2-Worrying about the future hampers your efforts for today. (v26)
3-Worrying is more harmful than helpful. (v27)
4-God does not ignore those who depend on Him. (v28-30)
5-Worrying show a lack of faith in and understanding of God. (v31-32)
6-Worrying keeps us from real challenges God wants us to pursue. (v33)
7-Living one day at a time keeps us from being consumed w/worry. (v34)

Then I found this treasure in the "study" part: Worriers are consumed by fear and find it difficult to trust God. They let their plans interfere w/their relationship w/God. Don't let worries about tomorrow affect your relationship w/God today.

The "they let their plans interfere w/their relationship w/God" part smacked me between the eyes. I have a PLAN for how I want this current situation to work out. I mean, what worrier doesn't have everything figured out? I don't want to be a faithless follower of Christ and I don't want to continue wearing this worry. God is going to provide for us and take care of us way better than I ever could...even w/all my planning!

God has already provided!

2 comments:

cfranklin said...

Thanks for this Tonya! As you know, I also worry!

Jess said...

Wow, How much did I need that? I have always struggled with bearing the weight of the “cloak of worry”. I’m a habitual over reactor. Through the years, I have learned better to give it over to God, and to remember that he loves me, and will never give me trials that he knows I cannot handle. I’m in the midst of another huge trial in my life and I’ve spent a lot of time praying fiercely for comfort and guidance. I’ve found that the more I pray, the more I am reminded of the things that I Do have and of those things, to be grateful for. I focus on the moment and of those things around me that are Beautiful. When I remember those things, my relationship with him is stronger and I feel his love for me even more.. Sometimes I think we have to endure these ‘trials’ so that we may remember the things that are important. I’ve definitely had that experience the past few weeks. Thanks for sharing.